The English Baroque Choir (which includes one of the Crown Court Choir members) will be performing Bach’s St John Passion on Saturday 12 April at 7.30pm in St John’s Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA. Tickets and further details are available from the St John’s website.
The third Hugh Price Hughes lecture of 2014 will be held on Tuesday 8 April at 7.30 pm in Hinde Street Methodist Church. Speaker: Rev Dr Philip McCormack MBE, Ethics Land Warfare School, on ‘Seeing people, not material’.
No sooner are the BAFTAs out of the way, when the Oliviers are upon us! And to add insult to injury, there are works planned to the junction of Russell Street, Wellington Street and Bow Street. See below for details.
Junction resurfacing works
- Works on the pavement and to widen the zebra crossing will start on 24 March.
- Works will stop from 6 – 15 April.
- The junction will be closed for two weeks from 16 – 30 April to allow a raised junction treatment to be installed. During this period it will not be possible to get through the junction and the part of Russell Street leading from Bow Street to the Covent Garden Piazza will be closed.
These will be held at the Royal Opera House on Sunday 13 April. Details of the effects on traffic are as follows:
- Bow Street and Russell Street will be closed from 6 am till 11.59 pm on Sunday 13 April. This will severely restrict parking in the area.
- Access to Russell Street will be restricted from Saturday 12 April.
- The event outside the ROH in Bow Street starts at 5 pm on Sunday, but members of the public will probably start arriving long before that time.
- There will be a temporary stage in front of St Paul’s Church in the West Piazza with live performances from 5 pm until 9.30 pm.
The pilgrimage to the Holy Land proposed for October will now not take place, as another one to be led by Reverend John McMahon is planned from 14 – 23 April 2015. A brochure for this trip is available on request from the church secretary.
The Annual Business Meeting of the congregation will be held in the hall on Sunday 30 March after the morning service and a quick lunch.
This meeting is your opportunity to find out what the Kirk Session and its committees have been doing in 2013, and to receive reports from church organisations. The minutes of last year’s meeting have been posted on the notice board, and an agenda and reports for this year’s meeting will be sent out to members and adherents in advance of the meeting. There will be a chance at the meeting to ask questions of the Minister and office bearers, so please come along and participate in the discussion.
Committee Conveners and secretaries of church organisations are reminded that the deadline for the submission of reports to the church secretary is Sunday 16 March.
And for contributors to the next issue of the church magazine, The Chronicle, please note that Sunday 16 March is also the deadline for the submission of copy to the Editor, Sheena Tait: email@example.com, or to the Church Secretary.
On Saturday 22 March we will be giving the Church its annual spring clean from 9.30 am until about 4 pm. Please come along and help to get the church looking its best again. Even if you can only spare an hour or so, your help will be greatly appreciated. Lunch will be provided, so to help with planning the catering, please add your name to the list on the notice board if you can help.